Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Not Eating

I've struggled with food and eating, mostly digestive issues starting 30 years ago but getting worse over the last 5 years and more so the last 2 years. The list of foods I can eat now can be written on a 4x6 postit note with room for doodles.

But what I've learned over this years trying to find a workable diet and still have food experiment days, usually producing an adverse reaction, is that I only feel good when I don't eat. I'm always hungry now because I eat snack 4-6 times a day which I'm trying to reduce to 2-3 times a day.

Anyway, I've discovered how food effects my mental and emotional being. Like that's new or news to anyone, but hey, it is to me. And because I can't eat if I plan a trip for most if not the whole day and live on coffee and protein drinks and snacks, I've learned those are the days I feel my best.

My best mentally and emotionally. I don't know why, I'm open to suggestions, but it's made looking at food and eating differently where I'm learning only to eat when I want to eat and only eat enough to enjoy the taste and stop feeling hungry.

I've learned there's a fine line between that good feeling and feeling hungry. Feeling hungry changes things where I need to eat just one small thing, hence those little protein snacks normally used for exercise or hiking.

Anyway, I just thought it's interesting. Some people live for and around food as their mental and emotional fuel. Some don't, eating simply to sustain themselves and occasionally for enjoyment, usually with friends, over discussions, etc.

I've found food and eating the total opposite, my enemy and leaving it alone is the only time I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment