Monday, July 8, 2013

Naps

Several days a week I take an afternoon nap. Sometime between about 1 and 3 pm I lie down on my really comfy futon pillow couch, which is just long enough to stretch out with my head on the pillow, and take a naps for anywhere from 10-15 minutes to 30 minutes or more and occasionally most of an hour.

What's curious though is that I don't think of death when I lie down, I always think of just taking a nap, sleeping to relax. But when I come out of the nap a thought often pervades my mind. Death. I think what if when I fell asleep during the nap I never woke up.

I think that I would never know what happened. Everything I was, everything I knew, everything I experienced would just be gone from life, from this world, and no one would ever know, but just my body lying on the couch.

I think that waking up is sometimes the best thing I do that day. Death didn't take me during my nap. But who knows when someday I'll lie down to take a nap and it will be the last thing I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment